Re: Gnome3 and Wheezy.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:04:10PM +0000, GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:
> I have been looking forward to the update of
> my favourite operating system Debian  from
> squeeze to wheezy.
>
> I thought it would be interesting to update
> one of my machines ( an  amd64 bit ASUS),
> and I have just spent two days trying to use
> the new desktop Gnome3.
>
> I have been SO disappointed that at this
> moment I am re-installing squeeze.
>
> I was sorry to see that the very useful
> GNOME web-browser Epiphany has been replaced
> by a very  stupid and noisy game of that
> same name.  I had some difficulty getting
> rid of it.
>
> I have poor eye-sight, and make much use of
> "CTRL shift +"  to magnify that which I need
> to see,  and "CTRL -"  to reverse.  This was not possible in many GNOME3  cases.
>
> Please why can we not have a choice of the
> new-fabgled desktop (for those who like it)
> and the old, well tried Gnome desktop for
> folks like me ?
>
> I have been using the "old"  version of the
> Gnome desktop ever since they wrecked KDE3
> and introduced KDE4.
> I think that the KDE exampled was abad one,
> but has been repeated.

This won't help with the magnification you want, but I created a Gnome2
lookalike using Fluxbox (or Openbox, or similar) and fbpanel.  Going
this route requires more editing config files and less right-clicking
than you might be used to.

The attached config files go in ~/.config/fbpanel.  Launch the panels
with these commands:

fbpanel --profile gnome_top_panel &
fbpanel --profile gnome_bottom_panel &

If you're using fluxbox, put those lines in ~/.fluxbox/startup

Also, if you're using fluxbox, put these lines in ~/.fluxbox/init:

session.screen0.toolbar.visible:  false
session.screen0.toolbar.tools:  prevworkspace, workspacename, nextworkspace, clock, prevwindow, nextwindow, iconbar   ### just make sure "systemtray" doesn't appear in this line

Make sure you take a look at the gnome_top_panel config file and edit
the "space" plugin (currently set to 500) which comes right before the
"tray" plugin.

The config files are pretty easy to follow, so don't panic if you've
never had to edit one before.

Hope this helps somebody.

-Rob
## fbpanel configuration file         ##

# DESCRIPTION
# Configuration file consists of mandatory 'Global' block that MUST come first,
# and optionally one or more 'Plugin' block.
# Lines having '#' as first non-blank char or blank lines are ignored
# Keywords are not case-sensitive
# Values are case-sensitive
# Value of variable is a text from first non-blank char after '='
# till the last non-blank char. '#' is NOT treated as coment in this context

# 'Global' block describes global parameters like position, size and
# some NETWM settings

# Global {

#     # screen edge
#     # legal values are: left, right, top, bottom
#     edge = bottom

#     # allignment of a panel
#     # legal values are: left, right, center
#     allign = left

#     # length of margin (in pixels)
#     # legal values are numbers
#     margin = 0

#     # widthtype specifies how panel width is calculated
#     # legal values are: request, pixel, percent
#     #   request - follow widgets' size requests. can shrink or grow dynamically
#     #   pixel   - occupy fixed number of pixels, then 'width' variable holds a number
#     #   percent - be 'width' precent of an edge.
#     widthType = percent

#     # numerical value of width (not applicable for 'request' widthtype)
#     # legal values are numbers
#     width = 80

#     # heighttype specifies how panel height is calculated
#     # legal values are: pixel
#     #   pixel   - ocupy fixed number of pixels, then 'height' variable holds a number
#     heightType = pixel

#     # numerical value of height (if applicable)
#     # legal values are numbers
#     height = 28

#     # Identify panel window type as dock
#     # legal values are boolean
#     setDockType = true

#     # Reserve panel's space so that it will not be covered by maximazied windows
#     # legal values are boolean
#     # setPartialStrut = true

#     # Transparency stuff:
#     # tintColor is a color to composite on root background given as #RRGGBB or as name
#     # alpha is transparency of the tint color.
#     # transparent = true
#     # tintColor = #FFFFFF
#         or
#     # tintColor = white
#     # alpha = 127

#     # Autohide
#     # autoHide = false
#     # heightWhenHidden = 2

# }

# 'Plugin' block specifies a plugin to load. It has same syntax for both
# builtin and external plugins.

# First parameter is 'type'. It's mandatory and must come first
# Legal values are plugin names. Names of builtin plugins are:
# separator   - visual separator
# wincmd      - 'show desktop' button
# taskbar     - lists all opened windows (tasks)
# launchbar   - bar with launch button
# image       - just shows an image
# dclock      - digital clock
# space       - just seize space
# pager       - thumbnailed view of the desktop
# tray        - tray for XEMBED icons (aka docklets)

# expand - specifies if plugin can accomodate extra space or not [optional]
# padding - extra padding around plugin  [optional]
# config {} - block of plugin's private configuration.
#             This part is plugin  dependant

#
# Plugin {
#     type = wincmd
#     config {
#         image = ~/.fbpanel/images/Desktop2.png
#         tooltip = Left click to iconify all windows. Middle click to shade them.
#     }
# }

Global {
    edge = bottom
    allign = center
    margin = 0
    widthtype = percent
    width = 100
    height = 24
    transparent = false
    tintcolor = #555555
    alpha = 200
    setdocktype = true
    setpartialstrut = true
    autohide = false
    heightWhenHidden = 2
    roundcorners = false
    roundcornersradius = 25
    layer = none
    MaxElemHeight = 32
}

Plugin {
    type = pager
    config {
        showwallpaper = true
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = space
    config {
        size = 10
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = taskbar
    expand = true
    config {
        ShowIconified = true
        ShowMapped    = true
        ShowAllDesks  = false
        tooltips = true
        IconsOnly = false
        MaxTaskWidth = 150
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = space
    config {
        size = 10
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = wincmd
    config {
        icon = gnome-fs-desktop
[...]

    edge = top
    allign = center
    margin = 0
    widthtype = percent
    width = 100
    height = 24
    transparent = false
    tintcolor = #555555
    alpha = 200
    setdocktype = true
    setpartialstrut = true
    autohide = false
    heightWhenHidden = 2
    roundcorners = false
    roundcornersradius = 25
    layer = none
    MaxElemHeight = 32
}

Plugin {
    type = menu
    config {
        IconSize = 22
        #icon = start-here
        # Use a nice Debian logo for the menu list ;-)
        image = /usr/share/pixmaps/debian-logo.png
        systemmenu {
        }
        separator {
        }
	menu {
	    name = Computer
	    icon = computer

	    item {
		name = Terminal
		icon = terminal
		action = x-terminal-emulator
	    }
            item {
                name = Lock Display
                icon = gnome-lockscreen
                action = slock
            }
            separator {
            }
            item {
                name = Reboot
                icon = gnome-session-reboot
                action = sudo reboot
            }
            item {
                name = Shutdown
                icon = gnome-session-halt
                action = sudo shutdown -h now
            }
            item {
                name = logout
                icon = gnome-session-logout
                action = /usr/lib/fbpanel/fbpanel/xlogout
            }
        }
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = space
    config {
        size = 10
    }
}

# Put your launchers / shortcuts here:
Plugin {
    type = launchbar
    config {
        button {
            icon = file-manager
            tooltip = File Manager
            action = nautilus --browser --no-desktop
            #action = pcmanfm
        }
        button {
            icon = rhythmbox
            tooltip = Rhythmbox Music Player
            action = rhythmbox
	}
	button {
            icon = icedove
            tooltip = Icedove Email
            action = icedove
    	}
	button {
            icon = web-browser
            tooltip = Web Browser
            action = x-www-browser
    	}
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = space
    config {
        size = 15
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = space
    config {
        size = 10
    }
}

# Edit this space according to your monitor size / resolution:
Plugin {
    type = space
    config {
        size = 500
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = tray
}

Plugin {
    type = space
    config {
        size = 10
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = launchbar
    config {
        button {
            name = logout
            icon = gnome-session-logout
            action = /usr/lib/fbpanel/fbpanel/xlogout
        }
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = space
    config {
        size = 10
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = tclock
    config {
	color = black
	HoursView = 12
	ClockFmt = %l:%M %P  %a. %b %e, %Y
	ShowTooltip = false
        TooltipFmt = %A %x
        #Action = orage
	#Action = osmo
        ShowCalendar = true
        ShowTooltip = true
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = space
    config {
        size = 10
    }
}

Plugin {
    type = launchbar
    config {
        button {
            name = Reboot
            icon = gnome-session-reboot
            action = sudo reboot
        }
        button {
            name = Shutdown
            icon = gnome-session-halt
            action = sudo shutdown -h now
        }
    }
}

# 'icons' plugin lets you customize window icons.
# these changes apply to entire desktop
Plugin {
    type = icons
    config {
        DefaultIcon = /usr/share/fbpanel/images/default.xpm
        application {
            icon = gnome-terminal
            ClassName = XTerm
        }