Re: compiling (or rather, failing to compile) a kernel

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 01:22:50 AM Tom Furie wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:10:55AM -0500, Tom H wrote:
> > That RHEL/Fedora dont' use "/usr/src" might, on its own, not make it
> > good practice, but since they're following kernel documentation
> > perhaps it does!
>
> The kernel documentation does not say not to /usr/src, it says not to
> use /usr/src/linux. That doesn't mean you can't use
> /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32-5, or whatever else you might like, it just
> means you shouldn't use /usr/src/linux.

For generic upstream packages including the kernel, one can build them in pert
near any directory anywhere. The only caveat is that you have to specify that
location when you build companion klibc, iptables, xtables-addons and openswan
(to name a few packages).

I don't know the requirements of "The Debian Way", though I would expect
Debian builds to be slightly restricted, like putting the unpacked source
package dirs in a common parent dir.