Re: compiling (or rather, failing to compile) a kernel

Hi Stephen - and thanks!

On Saturday 10 November 2012 14:31:57 Stephen Powell wrote:
> My guess is that this is a permissions issue.  Is your id a member
> of group src?

Yes!
[snip]

> (1) The directory /usr/src must be owned by user root and by group src.

It wasn't, and now is.

> (2) The group (src) must have read, write, and execute permissions on
> /usr/src.

Again, they didn't, and now have.

> (3) The group (src) must have the "set group id" permission on
> /usr/src.

Again, it hadn't and now has.

> (4) Your non-root userid must be a member of group src.

yes - see below

> (5) The output of the "groups" command, when issued by your non-root
> userid, must list "src" as one of the groups.  Please review the
> "Introduction" section of the document.

Yes, I had understood that bit in the Introduction, which I had read and, I
thought, understood. :-(

Anyhow, after I did all that, I ran
$ tar -xjf linux-source-3.2.tar.bz2
and it extracted the files correctly and created the directory
linux-source-3.2

Thank you very much, Stephen. :-)

Now, back to your marvellous tome.

Lisi