Re: Configure GRUB 2

On Wed 07 Nov 2012 at 22:55:26 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> As I understand the GRUB manual, if I want to change the config file, then i
> have to edit /etc/default/grub.  I want to change the order of the kernels in
> GRUB, but I can't see any kernels at all in /etc/default/grub. (See below.)
> So how do I boot from the earlier kernel?  I must have misunderstood
> something!

It's not clear to me in what way you want to alter the order of kernels
shown in the GRUB menu. Any chance of before and after examples.

Meanwhile (just to use a bit more bandwidth :-)), from 'info grub':

`GRUB_DEFAULT'
     The default menu entry.  This may be a number, in which case it
     identifies the Nth entry in the generated menu counted from zero,
     or the full name of a menu entry, or the special string `saved'.
     Using the full name may be useful if you want to set a menu entry
     as the default even though there may be a variable number of
     entries before it.

     If you set this to `saved', then the default menu entry will be
     that saved by `GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT', `grub-set-default', or
     `grub-reboot'.

     The default is `0'.