Re: Disused Floppy Drive Needs Head Exercise.

On 11/06/2012 10:51 AM, Martin McCormick wrote:
	Is there any utility that will move the heads on a
floppy drive from one stop to the other? I needed to write a
floppy on an old system and discovered that the drive's head
moving hardware has gotten stiff with disuse. It gets better the
more I do something like dd if=/dev/fd0 of=somefile, but a
better thing would be to make the head seek to the outer-most
track, then the inner-most track and back again until things
limber up.

	I could probably write something but no point in
reinventing the wheel if there is already some application out
there that does this.

Thank you.

Martin McCormick

If you do write something, it should have some kind of timer,
that exercises the drive maybe once a week.  Also, it must
disable itself if the drive is in use! If you write something,
please post a link to it here on the list. It should be in a format
that any Linux system can install, not just Debian.

--doug