Re: Partial success - an informative crash - was [Re: First attempt to use preseeding]

On Sun 04 Nov 2012 at 06:55:41 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> *My procedure*
> 1. Partition/format a 16 GB USB stick as single primary partition
> formatted as ext2 using Gparted.

At this stage of the installer's operation it is very happy to deal with
FAT16. I'd suggest you fall in with its wishes rather than having to
persuade it to use ext2.

> 2. Copy a sample preseed.cfg to it (some answers had been changed to
> match my needs).
> 3. Boot from DVD 1 of 8 of Debian 6.0.5
> 4. From the menu choose "Automated install"
> 5. Press <Tab> to edit
> 6. Backspace to remove "Quiet" leaving "--" as last thing on the
> line.
> 7. Append "preseed/file=/sdb1/preseed.cfg" to the line

This tells the installer the preseed file is at /<directory>/preseed.cfg.
If the directory does not exist the installer will not find the file. If
the file system on the USB stick is not mounted on <directory> the
installer will still not find the file.

I'd not choose sdb1 as the directory name, but if you choose to keep it:

    mkdir sdb1

    mount -t vfat /dev/sdX1 /sdb1

Both done after getting a terminal with ALT-F2.