Re: If btrfs is a way to save my SSD. Then what is for swap?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 01:48:00AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 11/2/2012 12:05 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> > SSD like samsung 840 (TLC) only has 1k write times. Swap directly on it
> > would not be horrible?
>
> Your question I presume:  "Is SSD suitable for a swap partition?"
>
> Answer:  Yes, all SSDs are much faster than mechanical HDD for swap duty
>
> Reason:  SSDs have no rotational latency

I believe Magicloud's point was actually due to the limited number of
writes available on an SSD.

Cons:
  A swap partition doesn't support TRIM, so deleted pages will be
  deleted (written) immediately. However, I suspect swap doesn't
  actually delete data very often (just marks it as unneeded).

Pros:
  Swap is mostly read, rather than written, so an SSD should benefit

Alternative:
  Try a swap file on an ext4 partition. That will allow you to make use
  of the TRIM function via the ext4.