Re: Gnome recommends iceweasel-l10n-all

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
> On 16.10.2012 18:29, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>> On last Wheezy upgrade my system install all iceweasel-l10-* packages
>> because gnome recommends -all package. Is it normal? I only need
>
> This is wanted, yes. To get a translated iceweasel.

Thanks for your answer. Right but not in all languages.

>> English and/or my native language and nothing else. Should be better
>> to recommends only/at least one language I think. There is some logic
>
> What language would that be? Just picking one wouldn't work for everyone
> and be unfair to e.g. non-English speaking people (say we picked
> iceweasel-l10-en).

English and your localization (which used/selected at installation).
English is not installed by default? Or is it possible to install
iceweasel without any language? What happens then? No menus and no
texts?

> Unfortunately it is not possible to express a dependency on a package
> depending the language that was used during system installation.

I see. That's a problem because that would be nice.

>> when package selector able to choose at least one package to fulfill
>> requirement. For example gcc recommends "libc6-dev | libc-dev" and not
>> both.
>
> What might work is the following: All iceweasel-l10n-* packages have a
> Provides: iceweasel-l10-langpack
>
> and in gnome we depend on
> Depends: iceweasel-l10-all | iceweasel-l10-langpack

I am not a package manager expert but sounds good.

> This would allow you to uninstall the languages you don't need/want,
> while still making sure we have a fully translated iceweasel for everyone.

You are right but should be better to choose only one or two than
download and install all then later uninstall several.

I am asking because I had only English iceweasel at first install even
if my mother tongue is not English but at last upgrade apt-get
dist-upgrade unnecessarily installed a lot of iceweasel and myspell
languages because of dependencies. If I choose simple upgrade some
gnome packages were kept back.

Bye,