Re: Vaio Z RAID 0

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Frank Otto <oft.kontra.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> the good news is that I can confirm that it is possibly to run Linux
> on a VAIO SVZ13, using the original Intel-RAID0 and without destroying
> the pre-installed Windows.  The bad news is that the way I did it is
> probably not easy to follow for everyone, and it might require some luck
> (i.e. using the correct versions of everything, and in the right order).
>
> Unfortunately I cannot give you precise advice, but maybe telling you
> about my experiences installing Linux on this device will be of some help.
> However, in my case I did not install Debian Wheezy but Xubuntu 12.04.
> For this I had to use Ubuntu's "alternate installer", which I believe
> behaves very similar to the Debian installer, although I guess there
> are some differences.
>
> But before running any installer, I actualled used a Linux-Live-CD (GRML
> 2012.05) to back up (using ntfsclone) and shrink (using ntfsresize)
> the Windows partitions and to repartition (using fdisk -uc) the
> Intel-RAID0. If I recall correctly, the original partitioning was:
> p1 = recovery
> p2 = Windows boot loader
> p3 = Windows 7
> p4 = hibernation
> I deleted p1 and p4 and shrank p3. Later during the installation, I used
> p1 for the Linux / filesystem, and the space gained from p3&p4 for /home.
>
> I do not recall having any trouble creating the filesystems. But if
> I had, I would have tried creating the filesystems manually via GRML,
> and then telling the installer to simply use the existing filesystems
> (which I believe is possible, but admittedely I'm not completely sure).
>
> For me the biggest snag was installing GRUB to the MBR, which requires
> giving the correct device name, i.e. /dev/mappers/isw_something or so.
> But in the end it worked, and dual-booting between Windows and Linux works
> fine so far.  As such, I cannot confirm the statement from Julien's blog
> that "this kind of RAID is not supported correctly by GRUB".
>
> Another internet resource which might contain helpful hints is this
> thread:
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/675057-ubuntu-linux-svz1311.html
>
> Hope this helps and good luck,
> Frank
>
> P.S. this is the first time I use google-mail to reply to this list,
> so if this ends up in the wrong place or breaking the thread, I apologize.

Hi Frank,

Thanks a lot for your answer! It is good news that Linux runs in this
laptop. I shrink the windows partition using Windows. I think that
Windows messed up something because I can not even create a ntfs
partition using Windows...

Maybe I can use the Windows copy that comes with the laptop using
virtualbox. I use most of the time linux and not Windows. I am
creating now the rescue DVDs. Windows 7 takes 5 DVDs!!!

Best,
Dan