Re: What is playing videos in web browsers?

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 03:11:59 +0200
> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

>> isn't something I would want to do, and I don't understand why websites
>> which are there to let people watch videos attempt to make watching them
>> so difficult for people that they can't watch the videos in the first
>> place.
>
> Perhaps because they don't want people grabbing the videos and watching
> them without browsing to their site, or reposting them elsewhere?

People have to go to their website to get it either way.  How many would
post them somewhere else?  There's no reason to do that when their
website works fine.

>> Maybe I'll just remove this gecko plugin; there's no point in having it
>> installed when it doesn't work or when it doesn't do anything.  Why are
>> people creating plugins that don't work or don't do anything?
>
> You're being rather shortsighted; just because it doesn't work *for you*
> doesn't mean that it categorically "doesn't work" and "doesn't do
> anything".

For one thing, it doesn't matter to me if it works for someone else or
not.  For another thing, I installed it through the packet management
like someone else would and it doesn't work, so I have no reason to
believe that it would work for someone else.  And there was someone else
here for whom it didn't work either.

> I've used it many times to watch / download media that I
> couldn't access any other way.

How did you do that?

> [I'm not particularly interested
> in watching / listening in a browser, so I usually use the plugin
> to start up some mplayer processes, then use 'ps ax | grep
> mplayer' to get the stream url and feed it to vlc to save the stream.
> Yes, I know mplayer itself can save streams, but vlc has been
> much more reliable for me.]

Why not use wget?

--
Debian testing amd64