Re: Display hurtful on LCD screen with Wheezy

On 9/19/2012 6:49 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 00:03 +0100, Lisi wrote:
On Wednesday 19 September 2012 23:38:48 Mark Allums wrote:
On 9/19/2012 5:33 PM, Lisi wrote:
On Wednesday 19 September 2012 22:40:30 Lionel Trésaugues wrote:
Yes. Me neither. The only parameter I couldn't check (due to my lack of
knowledge) is the horizontal refresh rate. Any idea how I can get this
value ?

I still feel that a very minor difference in the refresh rates might be
at the root of the problem, but do not know how to check this.  (I really
do mean minor: not large enough to be actually perceptible to you.)
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I might know how to investigate
this.  It probably depends on HAL - perhaps there is some minor
difference in the versions of HAL in the different distros.

Lisi

LCDs do not flicker.

I *explicitly* did not say flicker.  I do not mean flicker.  Flicker is
perceptible to the viewer.

Minitors *do* refresh.  They do not all refresh at the same rate.  The OP is
complaining of eye-strain and headaches.  These are real, and quite
reasonably he would like to do something about it.  They could easily be
explained by a tiny difference, far too tiny to be perceptible, or even
easily measurable.

This is the second time that you have contradicted me with the same irrelevant
comment, without offering anything constructive.  Nihilism is not going to
solve the problem for the OP.

The refresh rate doesn't matter that much. If something changed than it
has to be changed, if nothing changed, than nothing happens. For a tube
monitor the picture is turned off and on and off and on. A LCD display
is always on.

"just by looking at the background of an empty desktop. It seems that
the light is too intense, too violent (even when I reduce the
brightness) and that my eyes keep on adjusting the focus with no
interruption in an almost imperceptible manner."

I suspect a wrong sub-pixel order for the fonts. If you look long enough
at the bad fonts, then perhaps even a blank background that is ok, seems
to be bad.

Yes, an incorrect setting on the subpixel rendering might cause eyestrain. Getting the RGB ordering in the right order would be helpful.

Good suggestion.