Re: Installation

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> Now seriously, I already mentioned that the OS installation process is
> not the problem for users to keep linux but the "afterwards", the day-to-
> day issues. And here is where the user's attitude becomes so important
> and vital for the matter: well informed users (and users who are
> interested in learning how their systems work) will look into the proper
> places to solve their problems while careless users will just say blow it
> away (i.e., uninstall) when they suffer from any problem.
>
> And while this is true for both windows and linux users, the formers
> still have the advantadge of being around another windows users that
> solve their problems.

Following your argumentation, which OS someone uses is only a matter of
which OS other people someone chooses to surround themselves with are
using when they do not want to learn or to solve problems.  That may be
a factor if someone actually thinks about it.  Most people who don't
care might not even be aware of the choices they have.  They go into a
shop and buy a computer, and of course, windoze is pre-installed on it,
so they use that.  They don't make the decision you assume that they
make and don't go into such considerations.

Besides that, it appears to me that people for reasons that escape me
are willing to put up with whatever crap and problems their windoze
throws at them while they *never* would put up with them if Linux threw
them at them.  They even pay a lot of money for it!  Any idea why that
is so?  Is it just the effect of marketing that tells everyone they
could intuitively use their computer and of course it will always work
perfectly fine and people believing it despite they can see every time
they use their windoze or macos that what they are being told isn't
true?  Or maybe they can't see it because they don't know any better?

(Is it really $250 for a windoze license?  I have one I couldn't avoid
getting; maybe I should sell it.  If you want to make an offer, please
send it directly to me and not to the list.)

--
Debian testing amd64