Re: Removing deb-multimedia pkgs w/o removing everything

On 15 September 2012 19:45, Dmitriy Matrosov <sgf.dma@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/15/12 21:38, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>>
>> On Sb, 15 sep 12, 12:53:46, Ed Jabbour wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to remove packages gotten from deb-multimedia and replace
>>> some from the Debian repos.  However, removing them will also remove a
>>> bunch  of libs and kde progs. E.g., apt-get remove libavcodec53
>>> yields:
>>>
>>> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 190 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>>>
>>> I'm not up to reinstalling 190 packages.  apt-get install that pkg
>>> just tells me that "libavcodec53 is already the newest version".  Is
>>> there any way around this?  Is it possible to easily replace the deb-
>>> multimedia pkgs with the Debian ones?
>>

>> It's possible. I've done it with aptitude by looking up each package
>> from the list generated by the command below and selecting the Debian
>> version instead of the deb-multimedia version.
>>
>>      aptitude search ~S~i~Omultimedia
>>
>> With apt-get you would have to build up a big command line like
>>
>>      apt-get install package1/version1 package2/versions ...
>>
>> because there are lots of interdependencies which would get in the way.
>
> You can find packages from deb-multimedia without aptitude as well. Like so
>
> $ dpkg-query -Wf '${Package}\n' \
>      | xargs -d'\n' sh -euf -c '
>             apt-cache showpkg "$@" \
>                 | sed -ne"
>                             s/^Package: //p;
>                             /^Versions:/,/^Reverse Depends:/{
>                                 \_^[^[:space:]].*(/var/lib/dpkg/status)_p;
>                             };" \
>                 | sed -ne"N; /_deb.multimedia_/P;"
>             ' sh

I tried this on a wheezy installation, and it failed, so I tried
sending it to a 'dpkg.txt' and I got a null output on it although I
know that I do have some files from that repository. I'd like to know
how to get it working on wheezy please?

Thanks
Sharon.

> Result of this command will be list of packages, which are installed
> (referenced
> from /var/lig/dpkg/status) and that are available from deb-multimedia. If
> this package
> version also available from other source (like squeeze repository), it
> _
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian Wheezy, xfce 4.8, LibreOffice 3.5.4.2
Registered Linux user 334501