Re: Install Debian on a UEFI-motherboard ?

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:28:34 +0200, Tom Rausner wrote:

> I have a tower PC with a serious motherboard problem. It is unable to
> pass data from one place (say the harddisk) to another (say a CDROM),
> without drowning it in errors.

What kind of errors?

> I think some pathways in the motherboard is broken, so I want to
> replace it.

How did you reach to that conclusion? Maybe is simply a bad cabling or
almost-death port :-?

> BUT most of the motherboards on the market doesn't have an old-style
> BIOS, they've got the UEFI-thing. So the question is; can I replace my
> motherboard with one infested with the UEFI-thing and get a Debian
> install to work on it ?

Do you have in mind a specific motherboard model?

I don't think UEFI is now the only option available, most of the
motherboard manufacturers (MSI, Gigabyte, Asus...) provide a dual boot
manager (BIOS/UEFI) for compatibility issues.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón