Re: Recover broken SDHC card

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 20:49:16 +0200, Klaus Pieper wrote:

>> Is it really broken? Have you mounted the SD card on another computer
>> or on a Windows system (just in case...)?

> Tried the camera and three computers with linux, xp and win7. Linux
> seems to recognize the device (/dev/sdb on this machine), so does xp
> (there is a drive e:), but it can't be accessed.

Neither the camera recognizes the card? Wow :-?

>> You can try with the usual recovery tools (Photorec and/or TestDisk¹)
>> but the success will depend on the level of damage on the card.
>>
>> If nothing helps, you can test with the tools provided by the card's
>> manufacturer (usually for Windows) but that's better than nothing ;-(
>>
>> ¹http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
>
> Tried photorec and the tool provided by sandisk, but both can't access
> the drive.

That sounds bad... it looks like the card could have been physically
damaged somehow or that reached its maximum number of writings and simply
died. Consider using a professional data recovery service, I mean, if the
data on the card is really important for you.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón