Re: new installation preserving /home partition

On Fri, September 7, 2012 5:33 pm, Mauricio Calvao wrote:
> Hi
>
> I currrently have a desktop running old Debian 5 (lenny). I myself
> installed some programs outside apt management, both
> because there were no deb packages for them and because I need some
> more recent versions. Thus, I have finally decided
> to move on to Debian 6 (squeeze) and then possibly even to Debian sid,
> which I have already used for some time as the aptosid
> distribution. I would like however to preserve my /home partition. Is
> that **advisable** or should I delete this partition as well?

No, you can do that.
The facility to have the /home partition specified, in a new install, is
there along with the choice to preserve the data on it.

I usually install a /, swap and /home partition.
If I nuke an install, replacing the root partition only and merely
specifying the other two works.

I have done this on any number of occasions.
Regards,

Weaver

--
"The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group called Al
Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows this. But there is a