Re: systemd

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 17:32 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 17:29 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> > PS: Even the Wiki shows him taking a photo from himself:
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennart_Poettering
>>
>> You think somebody else made a photo from him? Perhaps, but there's a
>> bad reflection that lead to a snapshot in front of a mirror and some
>> other photos, see the google link with no doubt are snapshots in front
>> of a mirror.
>
> Serious, I'm willing to test systemd, but many audio users already
> experienced that he does no self-reflection and he isn't open for bug
> reports. If PA breaks anything he claims is, that it's a borked ALSA
> driver, while the ALSA drivers for ALSA and Jack and any other
> soundservers do work. I'm doubtfully. He suggested sound card test that
> are insane, even people who hate me, agree with me on that, just
> regarding to audio engineering facts.
>
> "Mirror, mirror on the wall, tell me tell me what is wrong?"
>
> I'll wait. I wonder how rolling releases will do the switch :D.
> On Arch the discussion about another issue, became a discussion about
> systemd and than about Windows :D.
>
> In cases of doubt, I'm against using anythin coming from Lennart
> Poettering.
>
> 2 Cents,
> Ralf

These are good reasons to be cautious.  Who is developing and controlling
the future of this is very important.  Just because he is brave (or
foolish) enough
to take on something this big regardless of the long standing tradition of init
and writing POSIX compliant code, doesn't mean he is the best person for
the task.

Personally, I've seen young smart developers come and go.  There were
a bunch at Gentoo.  None of them had a hint of facial hair.  Some
moved on to Ubuntu.  Lots of smarts and short on wholistic view.

Those older bearded Unix guys are missing from the scene!

There are sometimes brilliant developers who come out
with the next best thing since __________ and turn out to be a mess.

Look at Reiser and the file system named after him.
Some distros were starting to adopt it as the default,
despite the horrible odds when there was any kind
of file system problem to repair.  Then look at what he does in his
personal life.  Then, what do you know, this file system
has no future once a single developer goes to jail.

I wrote off reiserfs the first time I saw the goofy tu-cows like
error message about a corrupted file system which told me
to send $20 to Reiser's company for support.  It reminded me
so much of tu-cows nagware, but in this case perhaps ransomware?

systemd has 2 authors so far.  I'd like to see 4 or more before
this goes ahead into production.

Like many projects, there is no pressing need to make this change,
so rather than think like the Gentoo ricer, think, what problem does this
solve?  If very little, proceed with caution and grace.