Re: ifupdown's changelog: Try to remove old /etc/network/run even if it's a symlink

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 18:09:59 +0300, Regid Ichira wrote:

> $ zgrep 'Try to remove' /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/changelog.gz
>         - Try to remove old /etc/network/run even if it's a symlink.

?

* Clean up after /run migration (Closes: #673057):
- Remove old /etc/network/run.dpkg-old symlink.
- Try to remove old /etc/network/run even if it's a symlink.

Ah, okay, that explains better :-)

>     $ ls -l /etc/network/run
>     lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 May 20 20:59 /etc/network/run -> /run/network

I also have it...

>   Can I remove /etc/network/run manually?  Just /etc/network/run.  Not
> /run/network.

Why you want to do that? Are you facing any problem?

> My understanding is that the removal attempt is here:

(...)

>   I don't have /etc/network/run.dpkg-old.  I understand that the writer
> of that code fragment was cautious about various linkage methods.  I
> tried to follow the logic of the code, but failed.  For example, why is
> there an explicit
>
>   ln -s /run/network /etc/network/run
>
> ?

Most sure I'm missing something but that's the final goal of the routine:

# Migrate /etc/network/run to /run/network

Do you find something wrong? My first thought is that this is part of the
/run transition¹ :-?

http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/RunDirectory

Greetings,

--