Re: copying data from a partition with badblocks

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 08:40:55 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>
>>>  http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Prestige-Portable-SuperSpeed-35194/dp/
B004NIDHXC

>> That's exactly the kind of device I would never ever buy O:-)
>>

> Do you have a make and model of hard drive that you would recommend for
> using as a backup drive? Reliability is the first preference, cost is
> next.

I'd specially like (in order of preference) Seagate, WD and then Hitachi
as hard drives manufacturers.

Modern hard disks are reasonably reliable (even more when used from time
to time, i.e., not continously, for backups) so for a usual home user any
of the models would be okay.

For companies or those who need a bullet-proof device, the "enterprise"
lines of the manufacturers are the way to go, which means:

- Seagate's Constellation ES/ES.2
- Western Digital's WD RE4
- Hitachi Ultrastar

(exact model will depend on the desired hard disk capacity and interface)

In addition to the hard disk itself, a good external case will help when
it comes to transfer speeds. If you are moving gibibytes of data I would
recommend an enclosure that supports either USB 3 and/or e-SATA (rev.3),
depending on your motherboard capabilities because less than this (e.g.,
USB 2 or even gigabit ethernet) will slowdown the backup copy a lot.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón