Re: mysql-server 64 bit on a 32 bit lenny

Roland RoLaNd wrote:
> i have 32 bit lenny running. ( i cannot upgrade)
> i need to install mysql-server-5.1 amd64 on it.
> This system is already running l 64 bit kernel.
>
> i can't seem to find that package in any current repo so i'm
> thinking of force installing it using dpkg but i don't know how to
> solve dependencies (especially libraries)

I recommend that you learn about chroots.  Then use 'debootstrap' to
install a Squeeze chroot on your Lenny system.  Install mysql in the
Squeeze chroot.  Run it from there.  That will allow you to have a
Stable Squeeze "system" in the chroot with newer production quality
code than you can in the host system.

Then understand why you cannot upgrade your lenny system.  Identify
the parts that don't want to move.  Do the reverse.  Build a Lenny
chroot.  Move those problematic components that are holding you back
into the Lenny chroot.  That will free you to upgrade your host system
to Squeeze and get security upgrades for most of your system.  Then
work to remove those Lenny parts that are stuck.

I run daemons in chroots all of the time for just such reasons.  No
time now but if you are interested I could write up a quick recipe for
doing this.

Bob