Re: "Hold"ing non-installed packages

On Lu, 03 sep 12, 13:57:17, The Wanderer wrote:
> Is there any way to tell apt to "hold" a particular package in a non-installed
> state?

Several, but the easiest would be to pin it to a priority smaller than
0, see apt_preferences(5) for more info. However for your case it might
be easier to find the real culprit, see below.

> Having previously encountered problems due to having tried to dist-upgrade
> across a long gap, I perform a dist-upgrade to testing on the order of weekly.
> When apt-listbugs reports a bug which is important enough for me to want to hold
> off on upgrading the package, I use
>     echo "$PACKAGE hold" | dpkg --set-selections
> to tell dist-upgrade not to upgrade that package for the time being.
>
> However, on occasion I have found that a problematic bug comes not from apt's
> desire to upgrade an installed package, but from its desire to install a
> specific new package. As such, I would like to be able to tell it to "hold" the
> installed version of that single package at "none", until further notice -
> thereby excluding it and anything which depends on it from the dist-upgrade
> calculations.

The new package is most probably pulled in by a new version of some
other package. Hold that instead ;)

aptitude's interactive mode and 'forbid-version' is very useful in
connection with apt-listbugs ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei