Re: aide error

latinfo@vcn.bc.ca wrote:
> Does somebody know how to deal with this?
>
> # aideinit
> Running aide --init...
> 911:syntax error:�
> 911:Error while reading configuration:�
> Configuration error
> AIDE --init return code 17
>
> It is an exact copy/paste!

You have one of these files corrupted / munged:

  # ls -log /etc/aide/aide.conf /etc/aide/aide.conf.d

That has 146 files on my system and may be hard to debug to root
cause.  But one of those files is corrupted.

The aideinit script concatenates all of those together and generates a
single global overall configuration file from that set:

  /var/lib/aide/aide.conf.autogenerated

Look for the problem there.  It is on line 911.

  # less +911 /var/lib/aide/aide.conf.autogenerated

After you find the error then fix it in the /etc/aide/* file.

Depending upon things you could choose to purge the package, which
would delete all of the /etc/aide files, and then install it again.
You are running 'aideinit' so I assume this is the first time.  In
which case there isn't any significant configuration.

> Is there an up to date aide manual/how to, for Debian Squeeze?

The only Debian specific information is:

  /usr/share/doc/aide/NEWS.Debian.gz

All else is in the man page and the upstream web documentation.

Bob