Incorrect MAC Address

Hi everybody,

I've noticed that when I re-load my wireless card's driver (rt61pci), the MAC address changes. Not only that, but the first three octets aren't correct for the card I have (Edimax EW-7128g). They should be 00:1F:1F.

I also dual boot with Windows 7, which uses drivers I downloaded from Edimax. On that OS, the MAC address is consistent and the OUI is correct. The address that the device always gets in Windows is 00:1F:1F:8F:E4:3B.

Here is a partial list of some of the many addresses I have gotten on wheezy amd64:

00:0F:1F:C7:E4:39
00:1F:1F:CF:F4:39
00:1F:0F:CF:E6:39
00:1F:1F:8F:F0:3F
00:0F:0F:87:F0:1F
80:1F:0F:CF:F0:3F
80:1F:0F:CF:F0:3F
00:0F:0F:87:E6:3F

The device will operate just fine with its shiny new MAC address, I'm not looking for paths to functionality. What I am wondering is:

1. What's causing this?
2. Should I file a bug? Against the kernel? Is there a chance some other software (udev comes to mind) is causing this? Since the device doesn't have this odd behavior in Windows I am inclined to blame the kernel or the driver.
3. Is there way to make the system use the device's real MAC?

Thanks so much!

Garrett