Re: what is the difference between "/usr/bin/X" and "/usr/bin/Xorg"?

bobg.hahc@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:30:02 PM UTC-5, jiang lei wrote:
> > is there any difference between "/usr/bin/X" and "/usr/bin/Xorg"?
> > On my >debian box, /usr/bin/X is not symlink to /usr/bin/Xorg, and
> > i can start X server >with /usr/bin/X but fail with /usr/bin/Xorg?
> > i google it but find nothing, could >any one here help me? thanks
> > in advance.

Wow.  That is an aging message.

> wow - i'm disappointed no one's ever answered this... i too would like to know:
> root:~/# ls -o /usr/bin/X*
> -rwsr-sr-x 1 root    9232 Dec 16  2011 /usr/bin/X
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root 1889472 Oct 29  2011 /usr/bin/Xorg
>
> both files are ELF executables, and they are CLEARLY different.
> so what exactly IS the difference btn them???

In the beginning was MIT's The X Window System.  The main server is
'X' as in /usr/bin/X.  This was rewritten for the 80386 as Xfree86
with the same names.  Later through much controversy the Xfree86
license was changed to be restrictive in 2009.  This license change
caused a forking of the previouly available free version of the code
over to a new code base with X.org.  The X.org version implements the
new X.org server as /usr/bin/Xorg but maintains /usr/bin/X as a
compatibility layer so as not to break traditional legacy programs
which call the server by the previous name.  So at this time
/usr/bin/X is a thin wrapper for compatibility.  I believe it simply
turns around can calls /usr/bin/Xorg but perhaps with a very small
amount of option processing if any in between.  I don't know.  I
haven't looked at the source code.  But the "X -help" is identical to
the "Xorg -help" output.