Re: having a problem removing a package

On Du, 19 aug 12, 23:16:28, Chris Bannister wrote:

> When I saw this:
> > dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> > /etc/init.d/bandwidthd: 19: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> > invoke-rc.d: initscript bandwidthd, action "stop" failed.
> > dpkg: error processing
>
> I thought just to be on the safe side it might be a good idea to clean
> out any old cruft. And considering everything seemed to be uptodate
> except for 2 packages I presumed there would be no harm done.

As far as I know apt (and dpkg?) have rigorous integrity checks for the
debs.

> Why keep old ones around anyway?

A sort of backup in case you need to install packages "by hand" (i.e.
with dpkg -i). There is of course snapshot.d.o, but if the package you
need is also involved in running the internet connection things get more
difficult ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei