Re: Backup

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 03:40:41 -0500, Emil Payne wrote:

> I have a 1 TB external USB drive with 362 GB used. I'd like to do a full
> backup to DVDs and then an incremental (or something) backup every month
> or two, also to DVDs or CDs. I'd like the backups to be compressed in
> order to save space (i.e. - the number of DVDs/CDs used).

Optical media storage is a PITA for big amounts of data (it's very slow
and hard to manage when you intend to do rewrite operations).

> What is a good program to do this with?  Or, what is a good step of
> different programs to do this with?  I'm a home user with decent
> knowledge of Debian/Linux, but not a shell programmer.

There are some tools for the task. MondoMindi supports CD/DVD though is
usually for cloning rather than backups. Then there are the usual GUI
based tools such as dkopp, fwbackups, simple backup, kbackup, box
backup... and backup2l, backup-manager or backupninja (command line)
which seem to be specifically for CD/DVD although I would still prefer a
simple tar script :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón