Re: [OT] Re: Looking for interactive programming with simple graphics like old CoCo BASIC or turbo pascal

On 8/15/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:32:43 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to show my son how to use his computer to help him solve his
>> high school math. He's in his second year at an engineering/technology
>> prep high school here in the Kansai area of Japan and has trouble seeing
>> the reasons for the methods of solution they are trying to teach him by
>> rote.
>>
>> heh.
>>
>> Anyway, what I'm looking for is something that will allow him to loop
>> through the equations and watch the results. Numbers are easy, of
>> course. Perl (his only language so far) gets us that far.
>
> (...)
>
> How about Free Pascal and the Lazarus IDE? As I have understood, it's the
> linux counterpart for Turbo Pascal :-?

Hmm.

Breaking out synaptic, I see that there are metapackages for lazarus
and freepascal.

The lazarus metapackage loads the gtk2 variant of the ide. Any
thoughts about the qt4 variant? (I'm inclined to go with the
metapackage if I do this, QT has never been anything but opaque to me,
so far.)

Wow! 109M download, 691M of disk space expected to be used.

Well, I do have the free space, and I see that part of that is gdb and
other dev stuff I need anyway.

--
Joel Rees