Re: Wheezy and Sun-Java

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:48:51 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yup, Oracle's Java is being dropped from many linux distributions (or
>> at least treated as a second-class JRE, which I think is a good
>> counter- measure).
>
> Oracle's Java *is* a second class citizen, as intended by Oracle
> themselves.

On the paper, maybe. In real life, hard to believe ;-)

> Previously, Oracle Java 6 was the standard reference implementation of
> the Java specification.  With Java 7, OpenJDK is the standard reference
> implementation[1].  The irony of this, of course, is that Oracle's own
> Java is now the "fork" and OpenJDK is the "real" Java.
>
> [1] https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/moving_to_openjdk_as_the

That's what Sun (and now Oracle) have been saying since long time ago
("hey, we're open, we're cool, we share... stay with us") but look, even
the OpenJDK site points to Oracle's implementation of Java from where to
get the sources and experience tells users something different.

> So, if your bank doesn't work with OpenJDK 7, then your bank is wrong.
>  I see you're still trying to use Oracle Java 6 (the old standard),
> have you tried OpenJDK Java 7 at all (the new, blessed by Oracle,
> standard)?

Nah, that never works. You cant't modify the way a bank (or any other non-
public institution) works and develops its applications. This is kinda
chicken-egg problem which usually ends up in either these two ways:

1/ You quit from your bank/company and put your money elsewhere (not
always a viable option).

2/ You install the tool they require (this usually costs less and has
minor drawbacks).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón