Re: Calligra

> On Mi, 15 aug 12, 13:41:35, Weaver wrote:
>>
>> No, I just removed it, but probably I should.
>> My eyes hurt.
>>
>> This has been going on for years!
>>
>> KDE have some excellent packages: K3B, Okular, Amarok, etc., but they
>> need
>> to wake up in regard to their office suite.
>> They need to stick to their strengths.
>> Gui work is excellent, also, but with the code to Libre Office Abiword
>> and
>> Gnumeric open, they have no excuse for what they are doing in regard to
>> office suites.
>
> I'd be very interested in an objective comparison with Libre Office and
> Abiword/Gnumeric.

Yes, although they have essentially gone in two different directions.
LibreOffice have attempted to provide a 'drop in replacement', whereas the
other two, especially Abiword have simply not tried to emulate.
Abiword believe they can do the job better and for my purposes, they do.

Free open source fonts have more variety than the Microsoft range, without
being extreme - although there are extreme examples - many of the free
fonts have a lot more to offer in the presentation factor.

On a small system, Abiword and Gnumeric provide just about anything a
small business requires.

This is what I mean.
The contrast between the two approaches provides plenty of material, to
provide something seriously substantial, if the combined concepts of those
code bases were to be harvested in a positive way.
Regards,

Weaver.
--
"I invite you to name a society that created a secret prison
 system, outside the rule of law, where torture takes place,