Re: Managing to get the 4 RAM GiB recognized easily

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:14:25 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> writes:
>
>> On 15/08/12 04:08 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

>>> As stated in the title, I've got 4 GiB of RAM on this computer. The
>>> problem is that I'm using kernel 2.6.32-5-686 which does not support 4
>>> GiB of RAM. Precedently, I had used a bigmem kernel.
>>>
>>> Here, I simply want to get my 4 GiB of RAM fully recognized in an easy
>>> fashion. Is it possible?

In order the full 4 GiB of RAM is recognized from a 32-bits OS (having
PAE enabled or not), your motherboard has to provide that functionaly
because there's still a small amount of RAM that is used for devices and
it has to be remapped from the BIOS.

>> I'd guess you are running Debian/Stable (Squeeze). Simply install the
>> bigmem kernel image (linux-image-686-bigmem).
>>
>> Alternatively, you could upgrade to Wheezy which has the PAE already
>> built in. It looks like Wheezy is getting ready for release and it is
>> quite stable.
>>
>> If your computer has a 64bit CPU, you could also install the 64bit
>> version of Debian over the existing. Just don't format your /home.

I would go for 64-bits but only when installing a new system completely
from scratch.

> Well, it's 32bit stuff here. However, assuming I install the bigmem
> kernel image, as I did precedently, do I risk anything, that is, is it
> as simple as an apt-get install, then choosing this new kernel in the
> GRUB? Thanks.

I would rather use Synaptic to view "in live" what's going on :-)

Kernels are usually installed in paralel so right after you trigger a new
"linux-image" package there will be a new entry added in GRUB's menu to
boot the latest installed kernel and of course, the others.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón