Re: Testing ALSA and writing an appropriate .asoundrc

On 2012-08-13, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I know that you can select the default sound output using a ~/.asoundrc
>> file, and I already tried, but I can't get it properly working.
>
> Another way is to force one card to a lower index than the other. See=20
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to get an idea.

I had a problem similar to the OP's (I think I did, anyway--hdmi + sound card).

I have the following in my ~.asoundrc (the OP didn't tell us what he put in
his, did he?):

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

hdmi being card 0.

Your suggestion seems more like the "canonical" way to do things, though
on a multi-user system ...