Re: disabling slowkeys in gdm3

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 13:17:43 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> I've also run into the problem with slowkeys automatically turning
> itself on when I hold the shift key too long, as described in

> It isn't clear to me why the display manager has anything to do with
> this,

Well, it makes sense because the login manager is in charge of setting up
some basic pre-environmental values, like keyboard layout or mouse
options.

> but apparently the solution is to use gconf-editor to disable it in
> gdm3.

Yup, or so it says the bug report.

> If I start up gconf-editor, I don't see any configuration options for
> gdm3 nor simple-greeting.  So far I've tried
>
> gconf-editor
> sudo gconf-editor
> sudo -u Debian-gdm gconf-editor

Mmm... are you on Squeezy or testing?

Anyway, you should run "gconfig-editor" from your current user and in the
event you can't locate the key, you can search for "simple-greeter" (no
"simple-greeting").

> (I should note that gdm actually runs as root on my system -- so I'm not
> sure what the Debian-gdm user is actually for?)

AFAIK, there's no need to play with that.

> My question, of course, is "what am I missing"?  What do I need to do to
> make gdm3 configuration visible in gconf-editor?

You can also try using the command line, e.g.,:

First, to retrieve the current value:

gconftool-2 -g /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/settings-manager-plugins/a11y-keyboard/active

And then you can disable with:

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/settings-manager-plugins/a11y-keyboard/active false

THT.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón