Re: [stan@hardwarefreak.com: Re: Help with KVM/libvirt/win2008r2. Guest loosing time.]

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:25:14AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On 8/6/2012 2:46 PM, Chris Davies wrote:
> > Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> >> This would be much simpler if the Windows scheduler had more
> >> granularity.  You can only schedule per day or greater.  AFAIK you can't
> >> schedule events every X minutes as with cron.
> >
> > In the Advanced settings there's an option to repeat the job every N
> > hours or minutes.
>
> Just one more reason to hate Windows.  I haven't managed any for quite a
> while.  When I did, I did most of my adminning from the DOS prompt.  The
> "at" scheduler command that's been around since NT 3.1, and which was
> equivalent to the GUI scheduler back then, up to W2K IIRC, has
> apparently not been updated to keep pace with the new GUI options.
> Either that or the command line help simply hasn't been updated.

I just gave up on that installation and installed another copy.  It doesn't
have the time drift problem.  The kvm configuration was the same.  When I
installed it again, I had to do it 4-5 times before the stupid thing would
work.  Doing the install the same way each time yielded totally different
results.  Typical microsoft product, do the same thing and get different
results.

Anyway, this installation was done with -smp 1.  The one that I had problems
with was installed with -smp 2.  I have since changed the new install to
-smp 2 and left the vm running over night w/o any network connectivity.  The
system was 2 seconds behind the host on boot and is still 2 seconds behind.
So the problem is solved for me.  I am not using any time hacks.  The only
option related to time/clock is -rtc base=localtime

> So the option I described for the OP is viable.  Setup ntpd in the host
> and schedule a batch file containing "w32tm /resync /nowait" to run
> every 5-10 minutes, given his W2008 guest is drifting an hour each hour
> IIRC from his post.

I could have done this.  It took 4 seconds for a single second to pass.

Anyway, I appreciate the help that was received.