Re: USB ports not working after device disconnect

On 08/08/2012 15:51, Camaleón wrote:

Weird. Check if there's a BIOS update, just in case.

I didn't think of that (d'oh!). There is a newer BIOS (more than one, actually) on Lenovo's website for my machine. I will have a go at installing the latest one and see if it helps.

Kernel does not usually lose USB hubs, it only shows what is there and
presents nothing when either a) a hardware problem arises or b) a bug is
hitting you :-)

Absolutely, the problem is figuring out which one...

So, to discard a kernel problem you can try by loading a different kernel
release (better an updated version). This can be easily done from a
LiveCD (nothing to install) or getting a new kernel version (from the
backports or compiling yourself from sources).

I am running a kernel from backports, as I had wireless driver issues with the stock one, but I am fairly sure I was having this problem before. Unfortunately the problem is intermittent - sometimes I can unplug/plug devices without a problem and sometimes the ports stop working. This is going to make it very hard to tell if the problem has gone away permanently or it's just hibernating for a while.

Mmm... I was going to suggest precisely that (i.e., modprobe -r usbcore
modporbe usbcore).

Sorry to have beaten you to it!

What Debian flavour are you running?

Stable (6.0.5) on amd64 (the laptop's a Core i5) with iceweasel and linux-image from backports (only those 2 packages, and their required dependencies)

Problems with USB ports usually come from power issues (a damaged USB
controller which cannot provide 5V to the ports can cause devices
attached to it that require more power are not properly detected or
experience random disconnects). You can run the usual tests: try with
different devices other than mass storage, replace the USB cable (if
any), attach the device to a different port, etc...

Hmm, given this is a laptop I suppose a power problem is a strong possibility. This usually happens with my iPod and/or USB cd drive so I would not be surprised if they were trying to draw more current than the USB port (and specs!) can provided. Perhaps I need to try using a (powered) hub for a while and see if that stops it happening.

Greetings,

Thanks for your input,
Laurence