Re: CIFS and data integrity ; Sorry for the noise

Paul E Condon <pecondon <at> mesanetworks.net> writes:

> Having posted this, which I thought was reasonable, I went and looked at the
> archives to see what OP (Mark Fletcher) had written. It turns out that all
> of his investigation was done using commands typed in as root. For me, this
> thread is a real puzzle. And very scary.
>
> Mark: How old is your NAS? What brand? Is it likely that it uses Linux-based
> open/free software? What vintage? (best guess).
>
> IMHO, something bad is happening as we rush into the future. Layers of
software
> can cover bugs in basic functionality. Complexity beyond human comprehension.

Paul -- The NAS is a Buffalo LinkStation 4TB NAS configured to do RAID giving
me 2TB of storage. I bought myself it for Christmas from Amazon.co.jp (I live
in Japan) at Christmas 2010. I don't know what OS it will be running but doubt
it will be Linux since Buffalo will be aiming to maximise Windows
compatibility. I have heard of people wresting their NAS out of the grasp of
the OS it comes with and installing Linux on it, presumably by mucking about
with firmware etc, but I have never attempted to do any such thing as I would
probably screw it up :-) So it is running whatever it was running when it left
the factory.

I'm simultaneously glad that someone else is as unnerved by this happening as
I am, and increasingly nervous that the issue isn't inspiring "oh that old
chestnut" reaction in list readers... :-)

Mark