gtk-color-scheme for gtk3 themes not being applied?

Hi. I'm trying to set the selected items background color for gtk3
themes, but it doesn't seem to work.

I put the following in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, but it doesn't
make any difference:

gtk-color-scheme = "selected_bg_color:#444444;selected_fg_color:#000000"

I also tried with gsettings and dconf-editor to change
org.gnome.desktop.interface, but still nothing:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-color-scheme
'selected_bg_color:#444444'

No matter what theme I select in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
(Adwaita, Clearlooks-Phenix), the gtk-color-scheme doesn't seem to get
applied.

How does one configure a theme's color settings for gtk3? :S

Using Debian testing/wheezy, upgraded to latest packages.

Thanks.
--
Adrian Fita