Re: debian wheezy netinst questions

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Why won't debian wheezy netinst recognize my Seagate Baracooda 7200 1500gb
> hard drive automatically?
> Since automatic recognition fails, which if any driver is installed that I
> can select and get the drive partitioned and formatted and finish a debian
> installation?

It seems very unusual that such a popular drive such as the Seagate
Baracuda series would be a problem.  I have several of those on my
systems without trouble.  More than likely if there is a problem it is
in the SATA device controller on your motherboard.

I would remove and reconnect all of the disk connections and verify
that they are okay.  A bad SATA cable connector has been the source of
problems more than once on this mailing list.  If your motherboard has
multiple SATA controllers or connectors then I would try a different
one.

I would boot a live disk and then run 'lspci' and look to see what
SATA controller is being used and then search for issues concerning
it.  Also during a live cd boot you should be able to query the drive
and prove that it is working.  Or not working.  Because it is possible
that you are simply suffering from a hardware problem and not a
software problem.

Bob