Re: cron & file permissions

Hi Bob,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 04:32:03PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Mike McClain wrote:
> >     I've a cron job run daily from /etc/crontab,
>
> Instead of using the BSD-style interface let me strongly encourage you
> to start using the newer Vixie-cron-style interface of /etc/cron.d/
> where they can be separate and individual files.  That way the file
> can be dropped into place on a new installation or removed when
> cleaning up.  That is easier and cleaner than manually editing the
> /etc/crontab file and working around the existing entries.

I've only added 3 lines to crontab and haven't seen any way to get files
in /etc/cron.d/ run at specific times.
I can see how /etc/cron.d/ helps developers who want their packages
cron jobs run but don't see how it would benefit me who have physical
access to the hardware.

<snip>

Thanks for your thoughts,
Mike