Re: LC_MESSAGES set somewhere during gdm login

Bob Proulx wrote on 2012-07-18 00:24:
> Patrick Strasser wrote:

> Do you have a ~/.xsession file?

No, no ~/.xsession file.

> Do you have LC_MESSAGES set in your ~/.bashrc?  Or perhaps
> /etc/bash.bashrc or some other file that might be getting sourced
> through the chain?

Hit! After suspecting gdm as the culprit - after change from GNOME 2 to
GNOME 3 sowhere lost it's nice cool session setup selection features -
to use old settings that I do not know where to set, I completely
overlooked the obvious in front of my nose.[1]

I have LC_MESSAGES set in .profile, and in .dmrc. I'm still after many
years of using Linux confused about when .profile is sourced, but
anyway, I will remove it and try again.

> I am sure that I want to launch into a discussion of how ~/.xsession
> works but I think I shouldn't unless it is somehow related.  I have
> posted about the behavior often in the past, though not very
> recently.  You could find all about it in the archives.

Will have a look into that. I really should learn what's going on during
a login under the hood.

Regards

Patrick

[1] Learned to ask questions without too much speculation about what
went wrong or what _I_ believe is the error. If it was true, I would
have solved the problem right away and need not ask... It worked!

Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at  tugraz dot at>
Student of Telematics, Graz Univ. of Technology, Austria