Re: what graphic card to buy?

On 17/07/12 08:16 AM, Sthu Deus wrote:
Good time of the day, Gary.

Thank You for Your time and answer.
You worte:

Unfortunately both vendors want to keep some of their "trade
secrets" secret, so the open source drivers will never be the same as
That's why we have scarcely buy new ones at least.

the closed source ones. However, the open source drivers do have the
potential to surpass the closed ones in the long run.
How this can be done?
Open Source drivers can be better than closed source because more people work on them and because they can be more up to date in terms of the algorithms used. Closed source vendors have a few staff members working on drivers while the open source community has everyone who owns one of the cards as a potential developer. Some of these people are real experts in their fields.

The current radeon drivers are far better for the older cards than the proprietary ones that ATI stopped making a long time ago.

As for respecting the company's freedom - we also used to respect
people's freedom to own slaves. Eventually we developed to the point
that we recognized slavery in and of itself is an affront to freedom.
Citing R.Stallman, if people do not bother their freedom, one day it
may be lost eventually.

Sthu.