Re: System inventory and complain logging system

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:06:49 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> i am looking for a web base UI project that can help me to maintain the
> inventory , record of desktop complain,  complain tickets etc. any
> advice please? actually what i wanted to know is, How linux Pros/Network
> Admins handle this matter.  because there are many UI available but i
> need to know what you guys prefer and why?

If there are many solutions but you haven't decided for any of them, I
would go for one solution that is available in Debian repositories so it
is easier to administer, manage and debug.

Also, IMO it is very important the selection of a proper backend
database; if you are planning for a big development with thousand of
records you probably prefer a SQL based framework instead using a
solution that uses XML or plain text files for storing the information
while the contrary remains also true (a small user set wouldn't require
for a big database on behind, because administering such a DB can cause
more headaches that other thing...).

Of course, it has to accomplish the requirements you have defined so
consider what are the keypoints you are requesting (availability of input
interfaces, possibility of using add-ons/plugins to add more features,
programming language in what is developed, unicode support for languages
other than Latin/English, event notification, interoperability with third-
party tools, svn/cvs/git for revision control (should required), security
and authentication methods...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón