Re: what graphic card to buy?

On 13/07/12 04:39 AM, Matej Košík wrote:
Hello,

I was given a desktop which has the following graphic card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc NI Caicos [AMD
RADEON HD 6450]

The graphics card works.

In case of Fedora, I can use both monitors at their native resolution
(1900x900) in non-mirroring mode.

In case of Ubuntu, I can use both monitors at their native resolution
but only in mirroring mode (it is not possible to set non-mirroring mode).

In case Debian (6.0.5), I cannot use the graphical mode (Xorg) at all
because monitors only wildly flicker.

Is there a list of graphic cards which are known to work (either fully
or partially) with Debian so that I know what to buy? E.g. I would like
to learn which cards can be used for the following purposes:
- I do not care about 3D/4D/5D/... accelaration
- but I have two monitors each of which has native 1900x900 resolution
- I want to use those monitors in a non-mirroring mode
with Debian.

Is there a list of graphic cards that are known not to work with Debian
(so that I can enlist mine there to let people known about it)?

Right now, I am looking at:
http://wiki.debian.org/GraphicsCard
Is this the right place?

Thanks in advance for pointers or advice :-)
I am using an HD 6450 card with Debian/Wheezy and it works great. In fact the same is true about most cards, although not all features may be enabled using open source drivers.

Proprietary drivers for most cards (i.e. NVidia and ATI based) are also available that generally enable all of the latest 3D features. However it sometimes takes a little effort to get them to work.

In your case, the fact that different distros give different results on the same hardware suggests that it is either a driver or configuration problem. You may want to check out http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo for information on how to troubleshoot it.