Re: Why compiling.

Am Dienstag, 10. Juli 2012 schrieb Gary Dale:
> People who prepare the individual packages or distributions are
> usually  the only ones who need to compile code. However, some
> brave/foolhardy souls must have the latest code from the developer's
> source and compile their own. This is invariably a bad idea.

I do not agree to such a across-the-board black and white statement.

It can be a bad idea, but it can be a good idea as well.

Actually from what I got quite some packagers and developers started that
way and without them you wouldn´t be able to enjoy the packages you
install cause they wouldn´t exist.

I compiled my first application and Linux kernel long before I created my
first Debian package that got uploaded to the repository.

I do agree that compiling applications to standard FHS application asks
for trouble, but compiling a game in a directory in your home directories
hardly has any chance to break your system.

I tend to compile only to in my and to my home directory, /usr/local,
/opt. Except for kernels which I use kernel-package´s make-kpkg, cause I
never got around fully understanding the other more official way via kernel
source packages.

Ciao,