Re: Installing a new HDD and mounting others

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:47:31 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:

> I have followed this except to replace ext3 with ext4:
>
> http://linux.justinhartman.com/Installing_a_second_hard_drive
>
> I installed a new HDD and installed Squeeze on it.
>
> When i open My Computer in Gnome i can see and mount the other two
> HDD's.
>
> But i cannot get the /etc/fstab entry right, on boot i get fsck errors
> on the other two HDD's.

Fsck? Are you sure? :-?

Those errors can be important, can you post them?

> Mount them with:
>
> mount -t ext4 /dev/hdc1 /new-disk as an example works once the system is
> up.
>
> but the /etc/fstab example does not when i reboot.
>
> Is it perhaps that i have the boot flag entry on the other two HDD's?

Unless you are using an old kernel (lenny or ealier releases) I would
mount the partitions by their "uuid" (or id/label/path), avoid using the
old naming system (/dev/sda1...) to ensure you are calling the "right"
device and using "uuid" will be the best option for this.

You can get the partitions "uuid" by:

ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/

Then adjust the "/etc/fstab" entry accordingly and verify the mount point
is already set.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón