Re: VNC not connecting over SSH tunnel

Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:
> I can connect to every workstation in a remote office using:
> ssh -L 5902:<remote workstation's local IP>:5900 <remote router's
> public IP>
> xtightvncviewer -encodings "tight" localhost:5902

> However, there is one workstation [...]
> The ssh session also shows this message:
>    channel 3: open failed: connect failed: No route to host

> Indeed, I can't even ping it from the remote ssh server.

There's your answer in the ssh channel message: there is no route to
there from here.

> However, when I went to the office and tried to connect using my laptop,
> connected into the local network, I was able to connect normally.

The routing for the target workstation is different between the two
systems (router and laptop). The fault - if that's what it is - will be
either on the router or on the workstation, and it will either be a fault
of omission (you've lost a route in your routing table) or superimposition
(you've added an incorrect route to the routing table).

Chris