custom kernel without initrd and with udev

Howdy,

    While surely no expert I've been building my own kernels for
a long time with little trouble but with a recent install of
'Squeeze' I'm stumped. I've built, reconfigured, built again for
several days now. No joy. I've spent hours Googling for any and
everybody's thoughts on the error: 'Kernel panic - not syncing:
VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)' with little luck.

    Some one did suggest I decompile the initrd that shipped with
the install. On doing that I discovered that the device files for
the harddrive are created before the drive is mounted. Booting an
'Etch' partition I see that Squeeze's /dev/ is all but empty when
Squeeze is not running which may have something to do with the
failure to mount the root partition.

    Is anyone running a custom kernel without an initrd with udev?
Any tips, pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
--