Re: CD/DVD diagnostic tools needed

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
> >On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:30:21 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >>I'm having various random problems installing from Live CD's. The
> >>problems are weird, inconsistent, and intermittent. The first thing is
> >>to determine whether or not I have faulty hardware, be it the target box
> >>or the box that burns the CD.
> >
> >Optical media is more and more becoming a complete headache.
>
> Why? The usual trend is for products to improve as they mature.

No.  That was true when people valued quality over a few bucks.  Nowadays,
everything that can be thrown out with just a minimal loss of quality starts
to get thrown out when the device gets "good enough".  You cannot get any
good DVD or CD writers anymore, at least not for the definitions of good
(extremely low jitter and noise) you once could, for example.

Writeable media has the same problem.

Heck, you cannot even listen to CD audio with no frequency aliasing, zero
bus, and zero cpu usage anymore (i.e. using the analog or digital audio
output of the drive itself).  The same way that you cannot buy a floppy
drive that is worth anything, let alone one that could work in IORDY mode,
e.g., for use in the Commodore Amiga.

  Henrique Holschuh