Re: new kernel breaks postgresql on postgresql upgrade

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 04:49:32AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> The transition from postgresql 8.4 to postgresql 9.1 almost worked over
> here except for a little matter of the linux kernel's shm value.  This
> broke when I was involved with pg_upgradecluster and afterwards 9.1
> wouldn't start.  End result, all of postgresql has been removed from this
> machine.

Ouch!! That should not have happened. I vaguely remember running into
the same problem.

Adding: "kernel.shmmax = 40000000" into /etc/sysctl.conf fixed it for
me. Have you lost all your data?

This was a while ago, but because I'd botched a postgresql upgrade at
sometime in the past I was extra careful to double check each step.

It is essential to read all files in /usr/share/doc/postgresql*
on a major version upgrade.

My upgrade from postgresql 8.4 to postgresql 9.1 was OK once I knew
about the "kernel.shmmax" variable.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X