Re: unique install question?

On Wednesday 13 June 2012 19:55:19 Julien Claassen wrote:
> Knoppix did support blind users as well. There is Vinux, which is a Debian
> version specially compiled for blind users.

Julien -

Vinux is based on Ubuntu, not Debian, and I do not like it.  I am partially
sighted, not fully blind, but could not get on with it at all.  The large
icons (well, largish) and text are skin deep only, and all menus and things
were running in the usual tiny print and were therefore unusable.  I also
thought that its speech was bad, and was thankful that I didn't need to use
it.

I found Knoppix-Adriane vastly better.  Highly usable with adequate speech and
a lot of text (so much easier to work with without pictures etc. messing up
the text image).  The version I saw was basically sans serif black on white.
Great for me, though I realise that it would be less helpful to some others.
I did not try to run it in speech because I am still very incompetent at
that.

Klaus Knopper wrote Knoppix-Adriane for, and with the collaboration of, his
wife Adriane, who is partially sighted.  I have version 6.2.1, and like it,
but have not yet looked at version 7.x.x .

Lisi