Re: problems with nautilus

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 02:00:47PM -0400, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> This is debian amd-64 wheezy+some sid.
>
> I need to open mautilus with the system password, so am opening a
> terminal window
> and issuing:
>
> sudo nautilus &
>
> --- nothing happens, no nautilus, no error message. the issuing
> only
>
> nautilus &
>
> which opens nautilus, and gives an error message:
>
> "kjetil@kjetil:~$ Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>
> [5]   Done                    nautilus
> "
>
> Any ideas?

Looking at the manpage for nautilus
(http://linux.die.net/man/1/nautilus), you might want to try:

  $ sudo nautilus --browser file:///

or just:

  $ sudo nautilus file:///

The man page suggests the URI is mandatory and the last time I used
nautilus, I seem to remember that the default is to run as a desktop
manager; the '--browser' flag should give you the window you want.